Peace Action Society Organization for Somalia (PASOS) is a professionally managed and committed national Non-Governmental and Non-profit-making organization, founded by civil society groups on 1st January 1997 in Mogadishu, Somalia.
PASOS was founded after seen that the most of the African people continue to live on the margin of the survival, with no capacities to determine their destiny. The need for intervention therefore became apparently crucial. There is need to empower the people so that they can shoulder the responsibility of transforming their own lives better and more humane life as God’s creation.
PASOS is intended to operate in south and central region of Somalia and then in the countries of the horn of Africa, irrespective of regional, ethnic, gender and class diversities.
The program implementation of PASOS has been planned to begin in southern and central Somalia, where have conducted needs assessment exercises.
- Alleviate poverty by improving economic status of vulnerable communities through enhanced food production by providing farm implements and inputs and diversification of income generating activities.
- Enhance emergency response and livelihood crisis intervention through provision of food/cash/non-food items relief, Livestock take-off /re-stocking, Water trucking to pastoralists and provision of temporary shelters.
- Improve access to Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) conditions of the poor communities through construction and/or rehabilitation of water catchment dams, installing water tanks and construction of underground water tanks, provision of sanitation facilities and hygiene awareness training and promotion hygiene education
- Improve access to education by children and youth through provision of facilities, teaching and learning materials.
- Eradicate harmful cultural practices like Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) and early marriages.
- Increase opportunities for youth and Adult to further their education through distance learning
- Improve health status of communities through health education; environmental cleanliness, hygiene promotion and increasing access to primary health and child care centers in area of operation.
- Enhance environmental education, awareness and participation in environmental protection and conservation activities by the communities
- Promote peaceful co-existence and proactively resolve conflicts
- Empower the youth to contribute to the social, economic and political development of their community
- Create awareness of issues surrounding children in difficult circumstances with particular regard to child abuse and neglect